Gun Safety Reform
Following the shocking massacre at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub in 2016, I called for a special session of the Florida Legislature to reform our gun laws.
In Congress, after the tragic shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, I proposed a 5 point gun safety plan:
- Universal background checks for all gun purchases
- Keeping guns away from those who are a danger to themselves or others
- Banning assault weapons, high capacity magazines, and bump stocks
- Creating a “red-flag” system to issue gun restraining orders
- No Fly, No Buy – ban guns for those on FBI terror watch list (with judicial review)
My call for reform immediately put me in the crosshairs of the Florida NRA:
“These ultra-liberal, gun hating Democrats should be ashamed.” - NRA Florida lobbyist Marion Hammer
I’m not afraid to stand up to the gun lobby. In Congress, I’ll continue to fight for common sense gun safety reforms. We can respect Second Amendment rights while keeping guns out of dangerous hands. We owe it to the victims and survivors of the gun violence epidemic in our country.
Darren is Endorsed By:
Gabby giffords and the pride fund to end gun violence
darren is recognized by: Moms demand action pac
Darren is proud to receive the Gun Sense Candidate Distinction from the Moms Demand Action PAC, a group formed as part of Everytown for Gun Safety after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, CT in 2012.