While serving in the Florida Legislature for the past eight years, Darren Soto worked to bring high-paying, high tech jobs to Central Florida in the biotech, simulation, space, software, and solar industries.
Darren also passed numerous landmark bills that:
- Protect families of fallen firefighters
- Protect victims of sexual violence
- Prevent dangerous street racing
- Allowing Dreamers to be admitted to the Florida Bar
- Increase the high stakes testing exemption for foreign language students from 1 to 2 years.
- Eliminate debt and provide principal reductions to families in foreclosure
- Provide notice to tenants in foreclosure
He has successfully delivered critical funding that make a difference for people in Central Florida:
- $11.9 million to create a Poinciana Valencia Campus
- $20 million continue the restoration of the Kissimmee River and Northern Everglades
- $1 million to restore Lake Toho
Senator Soto has fought to give our students the education they deserve, by pushing for smaller class sizes and a minimum teacher salary of $50,000 in order to recruit and retain the best educators.
He also fought to expand Medicaid to provide health coverage to over 800,000 more Floridians and to establish Florida’s health care exchange under the Affordable Care Act.
Darren has championed environmental protection and fought to preserve Florida’s greatest treasures – our springs, beaches, and precious wild places. He is fighting to ban fracking in Florida and protect our fragile supply of drinking water.